Thursday, June 23, 2011

I Water My Grassroots with Tea

Tuesday night, I attended an event hosted by FreedomWorks. It was a tutorial session designed to teach the conservative, tea party public about how to use FreedomConnector to organize and mobilize. The event began at 6pm locally, which is the time I got off of work. My office was a solid 45 minutes away from the chosen venue and I was exhausted. I stopped at home, which is on the way to said venue, to sit for a moment, clear my mind of the day's troubles and decided if I was really going to subject to a two more hours of training (I'm a new hire) that I was already late for after an exhausting day. After much contemplation and coming about five seconds from taking off my shoes and kicking up my feet, I reluctantly dragged myself out of my apartment, got into my car and departed towards the FreedomWorks event.

When I arrived, the event was already in progress. David Spielman (@SpielzOnWheels) was at the front of the room explaining how to use the FreedomConnector website to about 150 people. I was greeted and instructed to find an empty seat. I finally found my cozy seat in the very back row, sat down and began listening to what information David had to offer. David ran a great event, he allowed for questions about the website, questions and discussions about issues and commentary. One particular comment stood out to me.

A woman sitting a number of rows ahead of mine and off to my right so far that I couldn't see her face made a comment about how disappointed she was about the lack of representation that young conservatives had at this event. She went on to say how she felt it to be telling of where this generation, my generation, is focusing its political leanings. While I realize that folks in the 18-35 range, particularly 18-25, tend to be more liberal, I have seen enough examples to take exception to her comment.

I raised my hand, David signaled that I may speak. I began speaking from my chair in the back of the room, but was quickly urged to stand up. I then began explaining my college experience. I attended business school at a large, public university. The business school is located at the southern-most tip of campus with the student union building just north of the school, essentially acting as a barrier to the rest of the crazy liberal antics the rest of campus has to offer. I found many common sense, business minded, conservative friends at this school.

I then began explaining my social media experiences. I told the group that I began seeking a political outlet aside from Facebook statuses and for that, I turned to Twitter. I explained that when I joined Twitter four months ago, I was seeking conservatives, not young conservatives, just conservatives. I told them that after four short months, I had garnered a modest following of which about 50% were conservatives under 25. I then began telling the group that there is a sweeping conservative movement among young adults and that we need websites like FreedomConnector and to actively seek these conservatives to let them know that they are not alone and that they're efforts are necessary for the future of this country. To be completely honest, the rest of what I said after that is pretty much a blur. All I know is that I felt very comfortable, confident and passionate in what I was speaking about. The next thing I knew, I was interrupted by something I never expected... applause. My five minute account explaining that young conservatives are real, growing in numbers and about the power of Twitter in meeting conservatives and spreading news was met with 150 people who had no idea who I was applauding me.

After the room quieted down, I quickly finished my point, but before I could sit down a voice asked my name. I answered. I was then asked how to spell it from somewhere else in the room to which I awkwardly obliged. Throughout the rest of the event, I was but a quiet observer, only my point was brought up every now and then. After the event "officially" ended, I gathered my materials I had brought with me, stood up and was taken back when I realized there was a small group of people were waiting to speak to me. What transpired next was nothing I would have ever expected.

People approached me for a number of different reasons. Some wanted to simply shake my hand and say hello. Others wanted to commend me or thank me for being a young conservative and a positive example for other young adults. Many folks approached me requesting my contact information and asking if I'd be interested in working with them on various projects. Many local tea party chapters asked if I would speak at one of their meetings and give a basic overview of how to use Twitter. I met a woman who ran a campaign for State Senate and lost in very close election in the most liberal district in the metropolitan area by riding her bicycle to knock on over 10,000 doors and making personal phone calls to voters. Another who wanted my help on rally she was spearheading. The attention was overwhelming and flattering.

If you're still with me at this point, please understand this is not meant to be boastful. The point I'm trying to make is inherent within the grassroots movement that is the Tea Party. I am a 24 year old conservative. I am a recent college graduate. I have a passion for God, family and country and I want to do all I can to protect all three of them. I'm just a citizen and simply speaking from the heart gained attention. No matter how short lived it may be, if I can inform these folks about how to use Twitter, it is a job well done in my eyes.

The fact that I came from nowhere, with absolutely no expectations of doing anything but showing up, taking notes, mingling then leaving and raised a point that attracted attention speaks volumes about the purity of the grassroots movement. The Tea Party and conservatives who may not identify themselves with the Tea Party are all a part of this grassroots movement. The citizenry is reaching out to each other. Anybody can become a somebody. Any idea that is in the best interest of the country in accordance with the Founders will be heard and championed. Any effort made for the betterment of our national situation will go appreciated and noticed. I felt the Founders' spirits last night. I understood their sense of duty as I was surrounded by people dedicating their time and lives to their country. Making true sacrifices and difficult decisions because they care about something greater than themselves. I felt special last night, like I could make a real difference, and so long as somebody else decides not to take their shoes off and kick their feet up, they could unknowingly have an opportunity to make a difference as well. God Bless the Americans using tea to water their grassroots.

- Streep


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made quite the impression at the event.
    I think the reason so many people discount the number of young conservatives in the country is that they are reserved and don't need to speak loudly or violently to be forceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Streep,

    We need more voices from young conservative people like you, who believe in the principles of the Tea Party.
    It's refreshing to see that some of the youth in this country aren't Obamabots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sfcmac. Please take the time and read my other pieces as well. My first pertains to young conservatism as well. I thank you again for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete